Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Marching to the beat of a different drum

In light of the recent Miley Cyrus scandalous vs artistic performance at the MTV VMA 2013, I feel I must apologize for my judgement of Miley.  It isn't my place to judge anyone, and I apologize to anyone I might have offended including Ms. Cyrus.

I didn't even watch the performance, but found it on youtube when I started seeing the shocking posts, and comments.  Why did I do that?

Conservative Christian

My views are that of a Conservative Christian; however, I'm more moderate to strictly conservative.  My thinking is forged through Biblical teachings, and conservative world views.  I'm not going to apologize for that.  However, I think, there are times that weighing in on a subject may change the way one feels on a particular issue.

Yesterday, someone, who is also a Christian, stated that there was so much shock and judgement of the performance being posted, that instead, prayers for the performer should be going up by those of us who feel it was distasteful.  That is so true.

I tried to take a moderate stance today, looking at it from an art angle rather than conservative angle, and my online nemesis, via a mutual friend, was right there to make sure I knew what I had done.  Thank you for pointing the finger, and calling my attention to my judgement.

Debate

There are pros and cons to everything life can throw at you.  That is a good thing.  Part of the growing process is finding where you fit into the world, and making the greatest impact you can for the betterment of society.

When I was a teenager, I had a notebook that I would write an issue at the top of a page, and make lists in a pro and con column.  This helped me develop my personality, ideals, and beliefs.  As I have grown, I have taken a different stance on somethings.

Some may think for the better, whilst others may think for the worse.  That's okay, but it's the way I think. My biggest changes? sinner to a sinner saved by grace.

If we all were supposed to be the same, there would be no life in living.  It would be dull and mundane.

I try to find good in people of all race, creed, religion, sex, and gender.  I'm an eternal optimist who seeks out good.  Often times, I'm naive to bad which has gotten me into troublesome spots.

Respect

I try to offer my respect to all people: the poor, those with different beliefs, those who are of another race, credit, national origin, sex, and gender until someone does something to make me change my mind.  That's okay.  I can be kind, and not hold respect. I can treat people with dignity and not hold respect.

I no longer hold any respect for Ms. Cyrus, but I can be dignified, and not spread gossip, or aid in fueling the fire of scandalous debate.

Edifying

My faith adheres to edifying others and treating others the way you want to be treated.  A finger was pointed at me this morning, and I didn't like it.  Just like I pointed fingers at Ms. Cyrus.  I'm truly sorry for failing to be Christ-like.

This post on Facebook yesterday is the best example of how I feel, yet was unable to express.  Facebook is a good thing when used correctly, but can be harmful when used carelessly.

http://iamrihanna.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/dear-miley/

Two steps forward, one step back

My attention has been shifted to the need to pray more, to withhold judgement of others, or better yet, to recognize the catalysts which create these judgements.

Lately, I've been praying for this organization out of Savannah, Georgia.  They are fighting intercity crises that poverty, gangs, homelessness, unemployment, and lack of education fester.

https://www.facebook.com/thedreamcampaign

Another of my Facebook friends made the comment that, "it would be great if this organization got the attention Miley Cyrus was generating."  That is so true.  I (embarrassingly confesses) fueled that attention.

Lord, please forgive me.  Although, I still don't agree with her actions.  I need to continue to keep my mind focused on what is good; being a light in the darkness of the world, and helping those who can't help themselves.


PS:  "What to my wandering eyes do appear? The front of yahoo, it's Miley's derriere."  Good grief!

No comments:

Post a Comment